Schools & Universities
Broward County Public Schools, the nation's sixth largest school district.
This information taken from the official Broward County Florida Schools website.
Under the leadership of the State of Florida, Broward County School Board and Superintendent of Schools James F. Notter we are "Educating Today's Students For Tomorrow's World". Here you will find a wealth of information, statistics and fun facts about the District.
Broward County Florida Public Schools is the sixth largest public school district in the nation and the nation's largest fully accredited public school district. We have over 255,000 students, 288 schools and centers, three virtual schools, 15,716 teachers and 37,482 full-time employees in all. In fact, Broward County Public School District is the largest employer in Broward County, with an annual budget of over $5 billion.
INTERESTING FACTS: Broward County, Florida Public Schools System
Listed are interesting FACTS about the Broward County Public Schools here in Southern Florida.
- For the second consecutive year, BCPS was a finalist for the California-based Broad Foundation's Annual Urban Education Award, and received it second $250,000, totaling $500,000 in scholarship funds.
- The District also earned the inaugural Award for Excellence in Financial Management from Washington, D.C.-based Council of the Great City Schools.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) named The School Board of Broward County, Florida recipient of the Meritorious Budget Award for its 2009/10 annual budget.
- Broward County Public Schools was a finalist for the National School Board Association's Council of Urban Boards of Education (CUBE) Annual Award.
- The District has built two energy-efficient schools; Discovery Elementary School and Heron Heights Elementary School.
- There were 34,700 volunteers who devoted 581,969 hours to BCPS at an estimated value of over $11 million in added services to students.
- Three Broward County Schools – Pompano Beach High School, McFatter Technical High School, and City of Pembroke Pines Charter Middle School were selected as Florida Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence by the Florida Department of Education.
- All District classrooms have wireless Internet capability and more than 3,300 digital classrooms have been incorporated into the District.
- The Broward Enterprise Education Portal (BEEP) is a secure, single point of access to digital resources for teaching and learning. Every BCPS teacher has access to BEEP and more than 139,000 unique students visit the portal each month.
- Seventy-four schools, 608 teachers and more than 15,200 students utilize GLIDES, project based learning initiatives which allow students to reflect upon their own ideas and opinions, exercise voice and choice, and make decisions that affect project outcomes.
- Broward County Public Schools has 20 elementary and 38 secondary online e-textbooks available to teachers and students. As of 2009/10, the District is only adopting textbooks that are available in both print and online versions.
- Broward Virtual School (BVS) offers full and part-time enrollment to grades K-12 students through an online delivery system. BVS has been recognized as the top performing Florida Virtual School franchise in the state for the school years 2008/09 and 2009/10, based on highest successful completion rate for students.
- More than 40,000 BCPS students are participating in Innovative Programs this school year. The District's Innovative Programs (formerly Magnet Programs) Department offers 63 programs in 36 specific subject areas in 50 schools across the District.
- Broward County Public Schools JROTC senior graduation rate exceeded 98 percent for four consecutive years.
- More than 44 percent of Broward County Public Schools high school graduating senior last school year went on to pursue postsecondary education within Florida's State University System or at a private, public or Ivy League school.
- Broward County Public high schools combine to offer more than 550 Advanced Placement (AP) classes encompassing 35 college-level courses. In each of the last three years, BCPS has seen an increase in AP course enrollment, the number of AP examinations taken and the number of AP examinations in which students achieved a level of proficiency by earning a score of three or above. Students earning proficiency also earned college credit for their courses, which are accepted at most major universities.
- BCPS overall graduation rate has increased by almost seven percent over the last five years. The increase is seen across all races, including White, African-American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Multiracial. The graduation rate for Native American students has increased by 23.4 percent over that span, followed by Multiracial (14.2%), African-American (9.8%), Hispanic (7.9%), Asian (5.9%) and White (4.9%).
- The District's Cypress Bay High School has been recognized as the "Public School with the largest number of Latino students from the class of 2009 scoring three or higher" on AP exams.
- Ten BCPS high schools and one charter high school were recognized among Newsweek Magazine's 2009 Top High Schools in the Nation.
- For 2008/09, student athletes from 27 Broward County Public High Schools earned 284 athletic scholarships valued at more than $4.8 million.
SCHOOL LOCATOR: LOCATE THE SCHOOL FOR YOUR CHILD
UNIVERSITIES & COLLEGES: Through out Broward County, Florida and Southern Florida, USA
There are several colleges and universities in Broward County. Many branches of Broward County colleges and universities are located in Davie, in an area called the South Florida Education Center. This area is home to campuses of some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in Broward County, including Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University and Broward Community College. The South Florida Education Center is also home to Nova Southeastern University, the largest private university in Florida. In addition to these campuses, there are also campuses in other cities, making Broward County colleges and universities convenient to residents. Broward Community College, for example, also has campuses in downtown Fort Lauderdale, Coconut Creek and Pembroke Pines. Florida Atlantic University also has a downtown Fort Lauderdale complex. Broward County Florida colleges and universities include the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale is located less than 2 miles from the beach and offers degrees in culinary arts, photography and graphic design, among others. Also included under the heading of Broward County colleges and universities are a variety of vocational and technical centers.
Colleges and Universities
- Broward Community College Broward County, Ft. Lauderdale
- American InterContinental University Fort Lauderdale
- Keiser College Broward County, Fort Lauderdale
- Knox Theological Seminary Broward County, Fort Lauderdale
- South Florida Bible College & Theological Seminary
- Nova Southeastern University Broward County, Ft. Lauderdale
HIGHER EDUCATION: Adult Learning, Vocational in Broward County, Florida, USA
Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Dania, Davie, Deerfield Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale, Hillsboro Beach, Hollywood, Lauderhill, Margate, Miramar, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Tamarac, Weston and surrounding areas.
- The Broward Educator produced by the Sun-Sentinel for the Vocational, Adult, and Community Education Department of Broward County Public Schools.
- Atlantic Vocational Technical Center Broward County, Coconut Creek
Atlantic Bonding Co. Fort Lauderdale
State of Florida approved 3 hour notary course
FastTrain Fort Lauderdale
Microsoft training center
- Gloria Brandt Permanent Cosmetics Fort Lauderdale
Interior Redesign A-Z Fort Lauderdale
Five-day course on interior decorating
- TALK International School of Languages Fort Lauderdale
Wall Street Instructors Fort Lauderdale
Insurance industry continuing education and pre-licensing preparation
- Hallandale Adult Broward County, Hallandale
- McFatter Vocational Broward County, Davie
- Pompano Multi Purpose Ed. Center Broward County, Pompano Beach
Piper Community School Broward County, Ft. Lauderdale
- National Institute for Telecommunications Educaiton Broward County, Davie
NT School Broward County, Ft. Lauderdale
Information Technology Boot Camps. MCSE in 14 days and CCNA / CCDA in 6 days.
- American Institute of Diamond Cutting Broward County, Deerfield Beach
- Law Enforcement Training Services Broward County, Sunrise
Infusion, Inc. Broward County, Fort Lauderdale
Professional and Medical Continuing Education
Sales Academy Broward County, Lauderdale by the Sea
Virtual Sales training and business coaching
- Customs Broker License Exam Schools Broward County, Fort Lauderdale
- Sheridan Vocational Broward County, Hollywood
American School of Jewelry Sunrise
classes from entry level for beginners or hobbyist to specialized advanced skills specifically developed for the professional jeweler
American Institute of Financial Gerontology Deerfield Beach
continuing education and Certified Financial Gerontologist
FORT LAUDERDALE COMMUNITIES
Fort Lauderdale Beach